Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 5 - Inside the National History Museum

We decided to stay indoors today and go to the national history museum in Luxembourg town. Sadly, they don't allow cameras, so my pictures today are very few.

It was colder today, but at least the wind wasn't blowing. Still, the walk to the museum was quite brisk. We entered the museum and went down to the lowest floor, where the exhibits began with ancient human civilization and worked its way to modern times. The museum itself is quite beautiful; they built down into the sandstone, and instead of putting up walls, they left the sandstone as is (though sometimes there was glass).

Everything was in French, so of course, Charel had to explain everything to me. Don't feel sorry for him, though, he enjoyed every minute of it. He is going to school to be a teacher, after all. Plus, history, especially Roman, is his specialty. I think he should become a tour guide there, honestly.

One of the most striking things to me was to see objects in their actual size, vs high quality photographs or shows on TV. A lot of the smaller artifacts were much tinier than I imagined them to be. I also saw many parts of natural history (such as the ice age animals) as they were in Europe, not North America. There were a lot of similarities but quite a few differences, as well.

It was also interesting to see a relief of the town (in 1867, but still), it helped to put a perspective on where I had been. I also didn't know that the big bridges I had taken so many photos of were that old, either. They survived through WWII, which is a relief. All in all, quite a good experience, though all the walking around hurt my legs and back after awhile.

Here is the website for the museum, though it is in French, so...good luck!
http://www.mnha.public.lu/

No comments:

Post a Comment