Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 7 - Bonnevoie, Itzig, Belvaux

We took another walk today around town. We started in Bonnevoie, since that is where Charel lives. The beginning part of our walk took us through the actual town, lined with many houses and a few stores. The houses here are of the type I've been taking pictures of all trip; the "smushed together" houses where 3-4 occupy a building. I suppose this is to be expected since land is a bit less spread out here than in the US. I've been told that the outer regions of town resemble our house layouts more.


We walked past many places that are familiar to Charel, from schools he has substitute taught in to places people he knows have lived. I would not pass a quiz of these areas, but it is obvious that this place has a lot of personal history as well as the wider history of the area.

 I included the picture on the left for the simple fact that it amuses me. In Luxembourg, a background of white with a red border means "forbidden", which means this almost literally says "No Dumping".










We then followed a road out to the edge of town; an open field that looked more at home in Iowa than in Luxembourg City. Charel told me it was for corn, so I am quite familiar with the view. Next to this field was a trail, which is what we walked on to get to a more wooded area, and a giant hill. I wish I would have had my bike to ride down it (but not up it!).





We eventually got to Itzig, a neighboring town. There, the remains of a water mill and an area for kayaking waited for us. There was also a dam. Here is where we began to see many other people walking around, mostly other couples. Most of them gossiping, which I could tell even without Charel telling me so. Some things are universal.





We then headed back to Bonnevoie along a very beautiful trail that ran along a river. We passed a place where, 100 years ago, people would go to wash their clothes in a pool of water. There were many ducks in the same area, and even more trees. The stone cliffs rose along our right side, many of the buildings actually built into the walls.





Later, we drove behind Charel's mom as she took one of their cars to the shop to be looked at. After we picked her up, we drove to the southern part of the country, a town called Belvaux, where steel industry used to be a very big thing. The main plant we saw is mainly inactive now, but there are parts that are still in operation even today.

Full photo album here: Day 7

1 comment:

  1. Nice information here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate their effort and also try to get this to anyone looking for business loans or other financial issues to Contact Mr, Benjamin Email: 247officedept@gmail.com He is also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete